All this led me to start a life-transitions coaching practice, that I called: Garuda Sofia Transiciones. Inspired by Thomas Leonard's work, I set out to distill an "operating system" that would be the backbone of my coaching practice. My system became "the Aragorn Project", thus named because it was inspired by the second line in Bilbo's poem about Strider/Aragorn in the Lord of the Rings:
Thus came the Aragorn Project, a chart for wandering without being lost...
It is based on six general premises and twelve more detailed principles. Each premise is accompanied by a core value, and each principle by an aptitude.
I am especially fond of my first premise "Life is Jazz", because it is one of the few ocassions where I feel I've managed to be brief and still sustain the fundamental meaning.
You're welcome to share this, but please don't do it without crediting me and letting me know first.
- Life is Jazz.
Respect life’s cycles, and know when it’s your time to set the beat.
- Work is the antidote to helplessness
...and impotence, and despair. Work is not something you do for others, it’s how you set yourself free.
- Start building at Aha!
Insight is the power to grow, what lies beyond it is your responsibility.
- Create environments that amaze and support you!
Build the castle and the myth.
- It’s not about True or False, it’s about Framing
Learn what the current frame is made up of, allow new frames to manifest
- There is invulnerability in Love
There you may seek and find it
THE DETAILED PRINCIPLES
I. LIFE IS JAZZ ( Value - HARMONY)
1. You are your life’s secret ingredient (not just the garnishings). [Aptitude - Lead]
2. Accept that anything can change at any moment. [Aptitude - Flow]
II. WORK IS THE ANTIDOTE OF HELPLESSNESS (Value - PURPOSE)
3. Think of what makes you feel most helpless, what are you standing around it for? [Aptitude - Direction]
4. Think of what you enjoy most about your work, what if everyone in he world could feel that way? [Aptitude - Skillful Means]
III. START BUILDING @ AHA! (Value - RESPONSIBILITY)
5. Bring yourself to the place of discovery. [Aptitude - Mindfulness]
6. Account for every seed. [Aptitude - Responsible Vision]
IV. CREATE ENVIRONMENTS THAT AMAZE AND SUPPORT YOU (Value - INTEGRITY)
7. Show people that you’re okay with being helped, and surprised. [Aptitude - Availability]
8. Continuously nurture and rediscover your support systems. [Aptitude - Stewardship]
V. IT’S NOT ABOUT TRUE OR FALSE, IT’S ABOUT FRAMING. (Value - CLARITY)
9. "Wrong" kills possibilities! [Aptitude - Openness]
10. Allow every view’s wisdom to fit together through caring. [Aptitude - Bridge_Building]
VI. THERE IS INVULNERABILITY IN LOVE. (Value - FAITH)
11. Always cross reference every manifestation of love with the Source. [Aptitude - Awe]
12. Trust that fearlessness and bliss are there, even when you clearly can’t see them. [Aptitude - Transcendence].